Sunday, April 25, 2010

Thoughts on Roger Ebert...

I took a few moments (and only a few moments) to browse over this journal entry that everybody is shitting their pants about, and I only really have one thing to say about it.

...Roger Ebert can suck it.

The big stink is over his (apparently) casual dismissal of video games as art. Now, I didn't think I really had to say it, but blog posts and their comments haven't really hit the mark. They're too busy trying to be right that they've missed two pretty obvious points. That's where I come in.

Wikipedia defines art as "...the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way to affect the senses or emotions." Whether it is or isn't interactive is completely beyond the point. Games are art. Check out a dictionary, Ebert.

The second major point is that Roger Ebert is a shitty movie critic. Films are considered a medium of art, and I'd be inclined to agree, but I wouldn't trust the final word to some chump who is paid by large studios to pull his thumb out of his ass to put it on display for poorly conceived movies.

Whew... that was a long sentence. If you doubt my findings, just remember Roger Ebert gave Titanic a positive review.

I'm just saying. You wouldn't ask someone to make you a five course meal if they're prone to lighting PB&J sandwiches on fucking fire.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm hiring myself out as a freelance obituary and eulogy writer. Leave a comment to ask for rates.

No comments:

Post a Comment