Thursday, July 9, 2009

Macros and You

When I started this gig, I didn't know what I was doing. I had forty million buttons, and struggled to reach the right tool for the job at a moment's notice, and probably sacrificed dps by doing so.

Now I only have 20 million buttons (-_-), but have successfully whittled down my abilities to a few easy-to-use macros.

Use Bloodrage:

Sure, that seems like good enough advice. And most of you have it glyphed, and use it all the time. But for the beginner fury warrior, this is something that most people miss. Even untalented, this thing is 20 rage every 60 seconds, and with the recent changes to fury, that's just too good to pass up. On top of all that, Bloodrage isn't on the global cooldown, so there is no excuse not to use it. Here's where the magic happens. Because Bloodrage isn't on the GCD, it can share a macro with an ability that uses the GCD. I put mine in my Bloodthirst and Whirlwind Macros:

#showtooltip
/cast Bloodthirst
/cast Bloodrage

#showtooltip
/cast Whirlwind
/cast Bloodrage

Yes, you'll get a lot of "This ability is not ready" spam, but that's a small price to pay for optimal rage generation.

Trinket Macro:

I've seen a lot of different variations on this, but I'll keep it simple. I prefer to use the following:

/#showtooltip
/cast Deathwish
/use 13
/use 14

Because Recklessness is on the GCD (and on a different timer), it is not possible to place it into the macro without a castsequence or castrandom modification. I would discourage trying to make one of these work, simply because it would not be optimal for dps. Use Deathwish between your BT and WW cooldowns, and Recklessness in the next break. It's better to keep the rotation going than to pause to get all your buffs up, in my opinion.

Slam:

#showtooltip
/cast Slam
/stopcasting

I'm not entirely sold on this macro. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm sold on the idea, but the darn thing isn't guaranteed to work all the time. Maybe only half the time. The idea, of course, is to prevent any non-auto slams from interrupting your rotation. This happens to me every now and then because I do not prioritize bloodsurge/slam over bloodthirst and whirlwind.

Targeting Macros:

I wouldn't feel right if I forgot the basic targeting macro. Certainly, there are many of you who know what this is, but in the middle of intense combat, this can be the difference of a few hundred DPS. The syntax is as follows:

/target Mob's Name

It's fairly easy to set up and use, and I keep one on my bar at all times, so that I may easily modify it to suit my needs. An example of a useful targeting macro would be during the Kologarn fight, where it is imperative to jump onto the right arm as soon as it spawns. A simple, clickable button basically takes the guess work out of the whole thing.

I have a few more tricks in my bag of goodies, but most of them pertain to specific fights, tanking or Arms DPS. I think that this pretty much covers the basics though. Now to make a paladin cry about his low DPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment