Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Stranded

From the Diary of Alana "Star" Weaver a.k.a. Miss Starfall

October 29th, 2008

I've been thinking about that one movie, lately. I can't remember what it's called... it's got that governor in it, and there's this robot that goes back in time to kill people. I'm pretty sure somebody won an award for it...

Anyway, it doesn't even matter. That movie was ancient when I was young, although I bet the people I know nowadays might think it's still new.

Anyway, I remember thinking about how I wish time travel worked that way: A small instance of an electrical storm heralding the arrival of a time traveler. Except, I wouldn't want to land in a parking lot all naked. That would be totally embarrassing!

Well, Hollywood's got it all wrong. To an extent, the Ouroburos doesn't really compare either. Not when you're talking about the random occurrence of a rip in the fabric of space-time. Those trips down the rabbit hole that is Portal Corp. didn't really prepare me either. They both have their guidelines and preparations, and even then, you have to physically interact with some device (technological or otherwise) in order to commence the transport.

So there I was, checking out some trouble in an alternate reality, when I tripped over (or into?) aforementioned rip. You think Portal Corp. could have forecast that sort of thing. I know who I'm not going to for my 7-day weather and sports.

Where was I? Oh, yeah... Time traveling isn't like in the movies. When that rip opens up, it's going to open up somewhere on the other end, and you no idea where. It could put you in the middle of an open field, all nice and neat and sitting indian-style. Imagine if the earth is in a different position in relativity to the sun from where it was in the world that you left. You could end up in the darkness of space, or in the middle of a mountain.

I 'chose' the middle ground. I was only about 25,000 feet in the air. This normally wouldn't be a problem, but for some strange reason, in the few weeks surrounding my appearance in this timeline/universe, some of my powers didn't really work. Of these powers, flight was the most important, given the situation.

I actually screamed and cried for the first time that I can remember since grade school. Hurdling towards the earth, I prayed and pleaded with no one in particular for my flight to be restored. I could see my tears slipping off of my face and into the sky above me as I plummeted to my doom.

This must be how Tom Welling feels...

No need to worry, though. A building broke my fall.

The police officers said I actually crashed through 22 stories before coming to a stop in the middle of an old oak conference table, which I still managed to crack before my descent of property damage was over. I must've been in shock, because I really can't remember any of it. The paramedics said I was curled up in the fetal position, sucking my thumb, when they rushed to treat what was only a few cuts and bruises.

After my short recovery, I was immediately contacted by the owners of the building. It seems, even though I wasn't registered with this world's Hero Registry, they still managed to find me. And they wanted me to pay for the extensive property damage I had caused just a few days prior.

Little did I know that it would be the first of many damages I'd have to pay before all was said and done...

No comments:

Post a Comment